Friday, November 3, 2023

30 Hour Flight Delay

Right before coming back to Colombia after an incredible time in Scotland and the Faroes, Alejandra and I had a 30 hour flight delay in London... We took advantage of the time by sharing the gospel to a couple other passengers, and we also walked around a bit. In quite an happenstance sort of way, we stumbled across a Bible Study on the book of Ecclesiastes at the iconic All Souls Church in the center of the city... Like every other gathering with Christians in October - being a part of this Bible study was awesome, and talking about the Scriptures with believers that received us without even knowing us at the culmination of our adventures was like the cherry on top of the fascinating and enriching shortbread of ministry and fellowship that we enjoyed everywhere we went (and yes, I know that nobody puts cherries on top of shortbread).
...We happened to be studying Ecclesiastes 8, and just like many other portions of this great piece of wisdom literature, a few of the themes that Solomon touches on are the execution of justice and the putting up with injustice... Both of these realities are on a lot of people's minds right now, and coupled with them come concepts like wisdom and authority...
Just about everywhere we turn, we're confronted with the terrible war in Gaza; and in the midst of all the bloodshed and agony going on - it's hard to comprehend its meaning. Just like the writer of Ecclesiastes says, "even if the wise claim they know, they cannot really comprehend it" (8:17)... It seems like there are limits to our knowledge, even though there are a few things that are certainly true... One of those truths is found in verse 12 where it says, "Although a wicked person who commits a hundred crimes may live a long time, I know that it will go better with those who fear God, who are reverent before him."
...I can definitely see how Benjamin Netanyahu's agressive response to the October 7 surpise attack by Hamas makes sense when I read verse 11: "When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, people’s hearts are filled with schemes to do wrong" ...But I can also definitely see the meaninglessness of the thousands of innocent Palestinians' deaths as their bodies are used as sheilds for the terrorist cowards hiding underground (verse 14).
What will happen in the next few weeks or months? Will the war escalate, or will it wind down? Will other nations get involved, or will the war be contained? Will the price of oil increase and inflation skyrocket, or will stability be restored? ...As verse 7 says... "Since no one knows the future, who can tell someone else what is to come?
What is important to remember though, in the midst of all of this, is that, "As no one has power over the wind to contain it, so no one has power over the time of their death. As no one is discharged in time of war, so wickedness will not release those who practice it" (v.8)...
I can't emphasize enough, the importance of thinking seriously about eternity, and repenting from our evil ways, and turning to God who, "in his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for us, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time" (1 Peter 1:3-5). ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I don't know what your take is on the current war in Gaza, but as you know, Alejandra and I are mostly interested in sharing the gospel and starting and strengthening Christ-centered churches... As has been hinted on in previous ocassions, Alejandra and I believe that women should not be disqualified from ministry oportunities because of their gender.
As a result of our stance on this issue, there are a couple churches as well as an individual who stopped financially supporting our missionary service for the time being... I (Sam) have been told that I am not welcome to share about our lives and ministry at a specific church that previously welcomed me. 3 of the churches that Alejandra and I started are not permitted to be a part of the denomination that I grew up in; and a close friend publicly called me out for encouraging women with good testimonies to share reflections from the Scriptures in our open breaking of bread services.
None of this surprises me very much, since I too, at one point in my life held some of the same biases that I see other very godly Christian men adhere to today. Especially those who disagree with me on this specific issue but have nevertheless continued to love Alejandra and I, as well as support and pray for our lives and ministry, I can't thank you enough... I feel like these friends are like those who support the Israeli Defence Forces even if they may disagree that the IDF includes women in the military draft and promotes them to any rank or office.
Especially when Alejandra and I were in the Faroe Islands, we were especially encouraged to visit thriving, solid, Bible-believing, Christian Brethren churches where women are defended from discrimination and encouraged to develop and employ all their gifts in the Holy Spirit without limiting the gender or age of those who can learn from them.
The way that I see it is that the days are evil, and so we need all hands on deck to make the most of every oportunity and understand what the Lord's will is. Giving thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, and being filled with the Holy Spirit at all times, let men and women everywhere just open up their mouths and speak (Ephesians 5:15-20). Sam and Ale Missionary Profile:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sam, this is Steve Williams, we had the privilege of having you and your wife in our home in Beloit, Wisconsin this summer. I appreciated your fervor, your zeal for the Lord and for His work in the Gospel. I remember the subject of women in the ministry coming up in our table talk. I would like to say a few things in response to your post here. It's disappointing that no one has commented before now, on such an important subject, either in favor of or opposed to your position. I can't say too much, since I forgot about it at the time myself. It saddens me because evidently, they don't care enough about this issue to voice their concern or conviction.

    I'd like to address it even though I acknowledge some ignorance on the subject and have a strong bias toward the historic position. First, I'd like to ask for a book or two. Although this may be an involved discussion, I'm a slow reader and would ask if you could steer me toward some books that are somewhat briefer but also compelling with best arguments. I have studied it probably 40 plus years ago but not since then. I have some familiarity with the arguments in favor of women in ministry, what I am really interested in are answers to those contrary arguments. I believe they are quite compelling, but again I acknowledge some ignorance.
    While acknowledging somewhat inescapable biases, I would also like to think of myself as alert to those and loyal first off all to what God's Word has to say on any issue. I'd like to think of my examination of a number of over the years has been fair and objective and not beholden to my preconceived views. I would like to think that you have done the same kind of objective research yourself as you weighed the arguments.

    While I would like to also think of myself as first of all committed to Scripture, I do believe that an historic position that the church has held on such a weighty matter as this should not be quickly left behind.

    I believe that God's Word is both incredibly expansive and perfectly balanced which explains why there is often evidence that seems to support two irreconcilable positions. And so, the challenge facing the church often isn't so much in their affirmations, because anecdotal support can often be found for any number of errors confronting the church. Where the church needs to be especially cautious is in those areas where the Scripture speaks without any ambiguity whatsoever. What impacted me many years ago was this caution, we err not so much in our affirmations but in our denials. The church needs to be careful not to deprive women of something of which the Scriptures approve, but I would equally say that egalitarians need to take the same care not to deny Scriptures that are very clear in their restrictive, prohibitive voice.

    I'd like to amend my request to articles that I can find online as opposed to books. I have too many already that I don't have the time or discipline to read. I would also like to ask you who you have read on this issue who takes the complementarian position toward women's roles in the church and home. Have you read John MacArthur, Al Mohler or John Piper? I will try to come up with some of their material in the next day or two.

    Thanks for your interest in reading my remarks. May the Lord bless you, me, all His people as they work through this and so many other urgent issues confronting the church today.

    Your brother and friend,
    Steve Williams

    ReplyDelete